The ASFSB scholarship is coordinated by the S.B. Scholarship Foundation. The scholarship Foundation has over the years offered supplemental funds to augment ASFSB's scholarship and has helped in selecting our candidates for scholarships.
We have worked closely with Colette Hadley who attended and spoke at our scholarship dinners. We'll miss her but wish her well in her new work, and we look forward to working with Candace Winkler.
The ASF Scholarship is designed to provide financial assistance to students who commit to continue their education. Preference will be given to candidates who have an active academic interest in Scandinavian culture or who are linked to Scandinavia by heritage, or both. In addition, candidates may qualify under one or more of the following criteria:
• promising academic performance.
• family relationship to a member of the American Scandinavian Foundation, Santa Barbara.
• a student’s financial need.
Recipients are eligible to apply for a second year of support but are precluded from receiving a third.
High Schools should have information on Scholarships for ASFSB candidates and that the Scholarship Foundation of Santa Barbara must receive the online submission to apply for scholarships on or before the deadline of Jan 31st. Those applying must have a certain level of GPA and also be of Scandinavian background or applying to study in Scandinavia.
From the ASFSB Scholarship Committee, with Jeanette Jensen as President, to Billie Maunz, Executive Director of the Santa Barbara Scholarship Foundation, dated January 15, 1997:
1. This will establish an endowed scholarship fund to be known as "The American Scandinavian Foundation Scholarship Fund". This fund is established by the American Scandinavian Foundation, Santa Barbara, and will be controlled and managed by the Scholarship Foundation of Santa Barbara.
2. The initial amount to be transferred under this agreement will be $12,000. Our goal is to establish an endowed corpus of $50,000. When this goal is reached, or at an earlier time as determined by the American Scandinavian Foundation, Santa Barbara, Board of Trustees, the Scholarship Foundation of Santa Barbara shall begin paying out scholarships in accordance with its established policy using 7% of the total fund for annual scholarships. Funds earned in excess of 7% will be added to the corpus.
3. The American Scandinavian Foundation, Santa Barbara, will submit written criteria which will be applied by the Scholarship Foundation of Santa Barbara in its selection process. These criteria may be changed from time to time by the American Scandinavian Foundation, Santa Barbara, but not more frequently than once each year and not later than a deadline imposed by the Scholarship Foundation of Santa Barbara.
4. The American Scandinavian Foundation, Santa Barbara, will accept a partnership role in identifying candidates for annual scholarships but agrees that the final decision is to be made by the Scholarship Foundation of Santa Barbara.
5. Ongoing contributions to the Fund will be solicited from members and friends of the American Scandinavian Foundation, Santa Barbara, with checks to be made out to American Scandinavian Foundation Scholarship Fund.